I was talking to my best friend.
Kath: “You know, I’ve come across so many papers about purple sweet potatoes.”
Friend: “Purple sweet potatoes? Why are they purple? Are they one of the GMOs?”
Kath: “Nah, they are natural species of the sweet potatoes family. They are purple, aren’t they cute?”
Friend: “My favourite is the ones with reddish flesh, the purple ones are so dry and less sweet, so starchy.”
Do you have similar concerns?
Purple sweet potatoes (PSP) have a notable dark purple coloured flesh. It’s full of anthocyanins, a natural pigment and also a natural antioxidant. PSP would have the identical health benefits like other sweet potatoes, plus its uniquely coloured flesh. Let’s take a look!
紫薯（PSP）拥有显着的深紫色番薯肉，充满了花青素、天然色素和天然抗氧化成分。 紫薯同时也具有与其他番薯的健康益处，加上其独特的深色番薯肉。 让我们一起来看看到底吃番薯，尤其是紫薯有什么好处吧！
SUMMARY OF CONTENTS 内容摘要 :
1. Sweet Potatoes and Weight Management 🍠 番薯与体重管理
2. Purple Sweet Potatoes and Cardiovascular Health 🍠 紫甘薯与心血管健康
3. Purple Sweet Potatoes and Liver Health 🍠 紫甘薯与肝脏健康
4. Purple Sweet Potatoes and Anti-oxidation 🍠 紫甘薯与抗氧化
5. Recipe – Simple & Easy Baked Sweet Potatoes 🍠 食谱分享-简单又健康的自家制烤番薯(片)
1. Sweet potatoes and weight management 🍠 番薯与体重管理
Okinawans were observed for the relationship between their dietary habits and health . It is reported that they generally follow a diet that is calorie restricted and rich in functional foods. Sweet potato is one of their commonly consumed dishes, in Okinawa Japan. These functional foods were found to be mimicking the properties of caloric restriction, and consequent potentially prolonged lifespan, physiologically better health, and lower risks of metabolic syndrome, etc [7-8].
曾经有一个研究项目，观察了日本冲绳居民的饮食习惯和健康之间的关系。 据报道，他们通常遵循节食，限制卡路里的摄取，以及饮食中有丰富的功能性食物。 番薯是冲绳居民们常用主食之一。 研究发现这些功能性食品有模拟类似热量限制的特性，从而达到寿命延长的作用，提高整体健康，以及降低代谢综合征的风险等 [7-8]。
2. Purple sweet potatoes and cardiovascular health 🍠 紫甘薯与心血管健康
Professor Chen’s research on how purple sweet potatoes could affect the lipid metabolism and the induced oxidative stress . The results were fairly positive by showing significantly enhanced lipid profiles (TG, TC, HDL-C, LDL-C) in hyperlipidaemic rats consuming high intakes of purple sweet potatoes. Such improvement was observed from the third week of study timeline.
陈教授完成了一个关于紫薯如何影响脂质代谢和诱导氧化应激的研究。 通过在食用了大量紫色甘薯提取物的高脂血症大鼠中，结果显示了能够显着改善血脂（甘油三脂、总胆固醇、高密度胆固醇、低密度胆固醇）。 如此正面的研究结果从研究开始的第三周就能成功观察到了。
Dr Lu suggested the smaller the cellulose particle size is, the less weight gain and food intakes would be. This study aimed to determine the benefits of purple sweet potatoes in females going through menopause. Menopause is a critical period where women experience a continuous reduction of their oestrogen levels and therefore, increasing abdominal fat deposit and consequent higher risks of developing metabolic syndromes. The results indicated that purple sweet potato cellulose helps improve cholesterol metabolism, despite the high fibre in sweet potatoes. This is beneficial to females suffering from menopausal syndromes, especially their lipid profiles and cardiovascular health. Speaking of fibre, it is helpful in enhancing your gut health and consequent benefits, as discussed and to be discussed. In addition, Dr Lu found that such dietary intervention could reduce hepatic lipid deposit, thus improving LFTs.
Lu博士称细胞膜质越小，导致的体重增加和食物摄入会越少。 这项研究旨在探究紫甘薯对女性绝经期的相对益处。 更年期对女性来说，是一个妇女健康的关键时期，因为雌激素水平会持续下降，腹部脂肪的累积，随之而来会导致代谢综合征的风险上升。 结果表明，除了已知的高膳食纤维含量，紫甘薯的细胞质膜有助于改善胆固醇代谢。 这对于患有绝经综合征的女性是特别有益的，特别是对心血管健康。 说到膳食纤维，它还有助于增强肠道健康。 此外，Lu博士还发现这种饮食干预可以减少肝脏脂肪沉积，从而改善肝脏健康各项指标。
3. Purple sweet potatoes and liver health 🍠 紫甘薯与肝脏健康
Besides Dr Lu’s study, Dr Sun investigated further on what purple sweet potatoes could do to reverse acute and subacute alcoholic liver damage . The pigment, anthocyanin, was investigated. This pigment can also be found in strawberries, red cabbages, etc. However, the anthocyanins from the purple sweet potatoes are more stable. It is suggested to use purple sweet potatoes as a supplementary and functional food in ALD patients for preventing the outburst of symptoms and during curative periods.
不止Lu博士的研究，孙博士还进一步研究发现紫甘薯可以逆转急性和亚急性酒精性肝损伤。 紫薯里含有天然色素，也就是所谓的“花青素”。 草莓、紫甘蓝等也含有这种色素。然而，紫薯的花青素更加稳定。 因此孙博士建议，对于酒精性肝损伤患者来说，紫甘薯属于一种保健性和功能性的食物，只可以在预防期和恢复期防止症状的爆发。
4. Purple sweet potatoes and anti-oxidation 🍠 紫甘薯与抗氧化
Antioxidants have been known as ‘anti-ageing agents’, as they are promoted highly by nutritional supplement companies. Many studies have shown that most of popular commercially bottled antioxidants (brands not named) could not perform (with modern food technologies so far) theoretical benefits of natural antioxidants. Purple sweet potatoes contain a fair amount of natural antioxidants. Dr Wu’s research has shown that purple sweet potatoes are great staple foods from its benefits in anti-cancer, anti-oxidant, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory activities [3-4]. Dr Wu and his team focused on the polysaccharides extracted from these purple sweet potatoes, he also stated that such positive results may be due to its structural properties .
很多人，尤其是女性，觉得所谓的“抗氧化”就是“抗衰老”，尤其是被许多保健品公司推广、宣传之后。 许多研究表明，大多数有“抗氧化”作用的保健品（公司名有意不列举）（在使用现代食品技术）是并不拥有天然抗氧化剂所能给人体带来的好处的。 紫甘薯含有大量的天然抗氧化成分。 Wu博士的研究表明，紫薯能够抗癌、抗氧化、抗菌和抗炎 [3-4]。 Wu博士表明他的团队在将来要专注于从这些紫色红薯中提取多糖来进一步研究，他还说这种正面的有效结果还可能是由于紫甘薯的细胞结构性质。
To clarify 澄清一下 :
All studies done on lab rats were not entirely meaningless, as the results may not be replicable on human subjects. This is true, however, animal studies are there for a reason, clinical studies are done on animals to test safety, practicality and ethical reasons, generally. Once the results are profound and thought to be worth continuing on human subjects, only then shall one study be approved by clinical research committee where a whole process of evaluation and assessment of submitted studies be processed.
5. An easy recipe to share with you: Simple and Easy – Baked Sweet Potatoes 🍠 食谱分享-简单又健康的自家制烤番薯(片)
Prep Time 准备所需时间 : 10 minutes 分钟
Cooking Time 烘培所需时间 : 50 minutes 分钟
Total Time 总需时间 : 1 Hour 小时
Serves 份数 : 4
Ingredients 食材 :
4 sweet potatoes (small-medium) 4个中等大小的番薯
2 Tbsp olive oil 2 汤匙橄榄油
1 tsp minced garlic 1茶匙蒜末
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped 2汤匙切碎的新鲜罗勒叶
½ tsp cinnamon 半茶匙肉桂粉
¼ tsp nutmeg 1/4茶匙肉豆蔻粉
salt & pepper 适量的盐和胡椒
Instructions 具体步骤 :
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.Wash sweet potatoes and cut just a small portion off the bottom so it sits flat. 将烤箱预热至425华氏度 (即220摄氏度)，将蕃薯洗净，可以在底部切掉一小部分，让番薯可以稳稳得放在烤盘上。
- Using a sharp knife cut thin slits in the potato ¼” from the bottom. 把番薯直立切成薄片，但不完全切断，切到距离底部1厘米位置即可。
- Place on a baking sheet. 放在烘培纸上。
- Mix olive oil, minced garlic, fresh chopped basil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & pepper. 在一个碗中加入橄榄油、蒜末、罗勒叶、肉桂、肉豆蔻、盐和胡椒，搅拌均匀。
- Pour over potatoes, pushing herbs down in some slits. 均匀倒在番薯上，可以把一些罗勒叶夹在番薯片中。
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until tender. 大概烘烤40至50分钟，番薯变得软嫩即可。
Modified from the recipe created by Nutritionist Alexa Schirm, obtained from: http://simplerootswellness.com/detox-hasselback-sweet-potatoes/
References 参考文献 :
- WP Chen, TJ Mao, L Fan, YH Zhou, J Yu, Y Jin, PC Hou. Effect of purple sweet potato on lipid metabolism and oxidative stress in hyperlipidemic rats. China Academic Journal. 2011 May [cited 2016 Dec 27]; 40 (4): 360-364. DOI: 10.3785/j.issn.1008-9292.2011.04.003
- HJ Lu, Y Gui, T Guo, QQ Wang, X Liu. Effect of the particle size of cellulose from sweet potato residues on lipid metabolism and cecal conditions in ovariectomized rats. Food & Function. 2015 February [cited 2016 Dec 27]; 6 (1): 1185-1193. DOI:10.1039/c4fo00799a
- QY Wu, HS Qv, JQ Jia, C Kuang, Y Wen, H Yan, ZZ Gui. Characterization, antioxidant and antitumour activities of polysaccharides from purple sweet potato. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2015 Jun [cited 2016 Dec 28]; 132 (2015): 31-40. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2016.06.045
- AH Abou Zeid, EA Aboutabl, AA Sleem, HM El-Rafie. Water soluble polysaccharides extracted from Pterocladia capillacea and Dictyopteris membranacea and their biological activities. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2014 [cited 2016 Dec 28]; 113 (1): 62-66.
- H Sun, T Mu, X Liu, M Zhang, J Chen. Purple sweet potato Anthocyanins: Preventive effect on acute and subacute alcoholic liver damage and dealcoholic effect. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2014 February [cited 2016 Dec 28]; 62 (1): 2364-2373. DOI: 10.1021/jf405032f
- BJ Willcox, DC Willcox. Caloric restriction, caloric restriction mimetics, and healthy aging in Okinawa: controversies and clinical implications. Current Opinion. 2014 [cited 2016 Dec 28]; 17: 51-58. DOI: 10.1097/MCO.00.00000000000019
- DC Willcox, BJ Willcox, H Todoriki, et al. Caloric restriction and human longevity: what can we learn from the Okinawans? Biogerontology. 2006 [cited 2016 Dec 28]; 7: 173-177.
- RM Anderson, R Weindruch, The caloric restriction paradigm: implications for healthy human aging. American Journal Human Biology. 2012 [cited 2016 Dec 28]; 24: 101-106